Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Frozen Ungents

I worked on Older Boy's birthday bike this weekend but ran into some problems. The biggest problem was that it was about 16 degrees all day, according to the thermometer outside our dining room doors. This means that in my obsessively cluttered spacious but unheated workshop it was 16 degrees. The car came and went once and it must have generated some heat in there so, say, 18 degrees. At that temperature all my oils and polishes and ungents and salves were not themselves, nor were my fingers. I worked as long as I could in this pattern:
-work on bike
-look for part or tool I dropped
-tell kids “no, I’m really busy and can’t help you with_____ right now (rotate ‘snow fort’, ‘digging in yard’, ‘breaking new raingauge’, ‘trying to regain feeling in extremities’ in space provided)
-work on bike
-look for part or tool I dropped
-bleed
-go inside for coffee
repeat until coffee is gone.

No comments: